Monday, January 3, 2011

What I learned during the 2010 holidays

This year was special for me. Especially because I wasn't entirely sure if I'd be able to return home to Washington. If I remained in California it was my intention to work on setting up myself to live an empowering 2011. I have several writing projects that have been in the works, and I wanted to organize my mind about a few life matters that have been weighing on me.

Fortunately I flew home on December 22nd. Due to delays I missed my connecting flight home and was comped a hotel room for the night in Salt Lake City. I appreciated the time alone. I enjoy hotels, and I wanted a full nights rest more then anything because I had been fighting an infection for over a week. Once I was home, my health rapidly improved.

During my stay in Washington I was battling with my mind. Being around my family members I felt like the same bratty little sister I've imagined myself to always be. This year it was different; I could see my old ways of being with my family and I wasn't going to be that. Afraid and not knowing how to "act" I remained quiet and  kept my nose in a book. I did not go through a drastic change, but I was happy that I distinguished what I once acted like. Christmas day I was able to spend a full day up on the ski slopes with my family. It felt good to be back in the snow and cruising the mountain as I had before.

I spent a calm New Years Eve night with my parents. We saw a chic-flick and had dinner together. We watched the ball drop on television while sitting around a heater with my parent's dogs. For the first New Years I did not resist the way in which I was celebrating. I've always wanted to do something on a grand scale and dress up in a gown. This year, I was happy and at peace to spend it with Mom and Dad.

New Years day my friend Dave married the love of his life. Celebrating with his friends and family was an integral part of setting up a powerful 2011.  I didn't know that then, but looking back I can see it has effected me. I was able to apologize to many friends about my past shenanigans and fess up to being a dramatic, emotionally driven, at times a psychotic controlling dominating friend. We all laughed as everyone fessed up to their own idiotic behavior, and in the process I experienced needed closure and completion. One friend asked me how I came to realize that I was being "leachy" in our friendship. I explained that it was due to conversations with new friends that had me see what kind of friend I've been. Being able to apologize for my actions in the past was important for me in having more fulfilling friendships now. Here is what I have learned from all my experiences:


  • I am more sure of who I am now more than ever.
  • I've always wanted people to see how great I am, and I made it a point to make sure others see that about me. Once relentless in doing so, I know who I am and have nothing to prove to anyone.
  • I love spending time with family more than I love meeting up with large masses to grace them with my California presence and show them how "great" I'm doing. (I gave up my act)
  • I've learned how important it is to have friends that listen for the sake of letting me clear my mind and know that I'm not my crazy thoughts.
  • I love reading "Success," "Do It Yourself," "Cottage Living," and "Entrepreneur."
  • I learned Oprah is going to launch her own Network. The network is intended to bring empowerment to people's lives and have them get what they want. Never a huge Oprah fan, I will now be subscribing to "O" (I bought my first one in the airport on my return flight home)
  • I learned that I like to take my time on my hair and make up and make it a point to be "put together."
  • I learned the correct form of using "lie" verses "lay."
  • I learned that I can really love and be a great friend to someone I thought that I never would speak to again in my life.
  • I now have a peace about what to do with family possessions if my mother and father were to ever pass. Several conversations about death ironically put me at peace.
  • It is highly critical that I continue to dream and read inspirational material on a regular basis. 
  • I love my family more then ever.

The holidays were unforgettable. I have big ideas for 2011 and I'm more than elated to watch them come to fruition.

My favorite quote of this holiday season was made in passing by my own mother on Christmas day and I will never forget it, "It doesn't cost anything to dream."

I love you.

Xox,

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Inspired words! Write on, write on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep dreamin' darlin' daugther! I love you, Mama

    ReplyDelete