Monday, July 19, 2010

Words that move a woman

I once heard that it's important for a single woman to be hugged at least 6 times a day. I don't know whether or not the number is statistically correct, however I do understand the importance of touch. I often go several weeks without something as simple as someone brushing my arm, and then I notice that a hug sends me into an emotional spiral and I recognize I've been missing the physical attention of another human being. To clarify, it's not necessarily a form of a romantic physical connection I'm speaking of, but the same feeling you might get when your mother or close friend hugs you or taps your leg during a conversation.

A similar reaction was stirred in me with the use of a single word this morning. I received a text message from a relative who I recently formed a powerful bond with. He began a text message with the endearing name "Baby" and I was basically thrusted into the same emotional-fit physical touch has on me. My entire life, I have appreciated the power of a word, but this morning's word emphasized an internal personal craving. The innocent use of the name “baby” knocked me off my morning routine, and I was emotionally shaken like something had been called forth from the depths of my soul.

A word that routinely rolls off my lips was directed at me, and I was overwhelmed by the powerful reaction I had. I am the friend to quickly nickname or refer to people as something other than their legal first name, but the tables had been turned. What I thought was a playful way of referring to my friends, was actually what I had been longing for myself. For the first time in my life I recognize how important it is to me that the men I dearly love use choice words when we converse. I see the impact  words have on my heart, and I long for the nectar of adoration that drips rich in their vocabulary.  For any young girl or woman, it is almost necessary and certainly healthy to be adored by the men closest to them (fathers, brothers, relatives, friends, etc..) and something as simple as "Hun" from any of them can fill my love cup up for days.

I draw from the love of those around me, as most everyone does, and I'm encouraged by their recognition of my presence in their life. It is important to me to know I've touched people or have moved them in some way. Since I tend to use words to communicate my ardor and loyalty, it profoundly affects me when others return the favor in the same form; it melts me. As I age, my desire increases to encourage people through the spoken word to press forward in life and achieve what they truly want.

Even if am never told that I've influenced or have moved someone I would still like to think I have stirred even complete strangers I've only had the pleasure to smile at.

If you know a single woman or man, be sure to embrace them or acknowledge who they are to you and your life.

Xox (If I could physically “Xox” each of you I would)

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    I miss you in my life. Remember though, that although we've never been farther away in body (now in opposite corners of the US, we will always remain close in spirit.

    I will never forget that "bridge" we built during a fantastic hug once... I love you. You are in my heart and will remain there forever...

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    I had to stop and think how many times a day I have received a hug. Definitely not six, so then I looked at how many times a week...yup still not six! lol I now want to make sure I make this a daily goal of mine! LOL Wish you were here so I could give you a hug, I miss you friend!!

    I absolutely LOVE hearing people that are close to me call me babe/baby/hun/hunny/sugar...ect...I have felt at times when people I do not know so well use the same words towards me, it rubs me the wrong way. I actually get a little....idk..stand-offish...

    I want to let you know that I think you're a gifted writer, keep at it girl! Love reading your blogs! You're one of my favorite people in the world! LOL That is another reason as to why I can "thank" Amazon.....I got to meet you, and now have you in my life! You're a great person! Have a wonderful week, girl!! Love you! xoxo!

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete