Thursday, October 7, 2010

Taste-testing sounds

It's Thursday night and I'm flying solo at a restaurant/bar on Newport Avenue in Ocean Beach. It's a small southern Californian beach town that to the average passerby it would appear slightly rough around the edges compared to neighboring coastal towns. 


I'm in an audience of 10 others, 11 if you include the doorman, and 13 if you include the older couple sitting in the corner who are preparing to leave once the music starts. They more than likely didn't do their research prior to coming and therefor don't know this band is soon to release sounds of indie-surf. I did my research, I know the sound, and that's why I'm here. 


When I got home from work this evening I perused Craigslist looking to score some last minute free tickets to any local concert. As usual there was plenty of "free fill dirt" and gadgets that even your knick-knack-hoarding grandmother wouldn't go out of her way to obtain. I looked at an events page of a local publication and found a free show to attend several blocks from my house. 


As the day grew distant and the night welcomed the west coast, my bedroom invited me to stay through until the morning with its warmth accompanied by my laziness. I was growing tired, but after a glass of wine, half of a can of Trader Joes Natural Baked Beans, and the Netflix ordered Flaming Lips documentary titled The Flaming Lips: The Fearless Freaks, I decided to throw on my red checkered flannel and coconut oil and depart my bedroom world and into the night and OB world of Thursday. I budgeted $4 for the evening's events, meaning that's all the cash in my wallet so I transfered it to my pants pocket. I accidentally budgeted the perfect amount: beer specials were $4 at the Portugalia. Prior to ordering I apologized to the bartender that I didn't budget enough for a tip, nonetheless she kindly poured my Hefewiezen.  


The show began, and it went on, but I decided to leave early as I've grown tired of cover songs, in fact I've never been a big fan. The music wasn't great and I realized I'd soon be standing in a larger audience of music lovers and listening to a "southern metal band," Lead Burns Red, a friend's band who is releasing their 2nd album and is playing their release party this Saturday at the Onyx Room in downtown San Diego. Check out their website and their sound at www.leadburnsred.com. For those who dig the sound and can't attend, grab your digital copy at cdbaby.com/cd/leadburnsred.


In the meantime, get your booty out to local upcoming events and stretch your creative spirit, even if you go it alone.  See you at the show!




Xox,


Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment